Our Church History
1778 – Methodism founded in Augusta and called The Methodist Church.
1853 – The Methodist Church, recognized the need to better serve the rapidly growing community in the lower part of the city, with great reluctance, formed a second church.
1855 – Construction of the second church began at 439 Greene Street. The nucleus of the newly formed church met as an afternoon Sunday School, widely known for its singing in a house at 244 Greene Street.
1856 – A minister was assigned. Each church, known only as The Methodist Church up to now, chose the names of St. John and St. James.
1873 – December 31, 1873, dedication of The Cenotaph, the oldest Confederate monument, listed the members of St. James who sacrificed their lives during the Civil War.
- 1869 – Jones Chapel
- 1870 – St. Luke
- 1878 – Wesleyan
- 1949 – St. Mark
1887 – St. James is enlarged and its belfry added to its present magnificent Gothic architectural design.
1895 – The Hook and Hastings organ was bought at the Atlanta Exposition. It was shipped by railroad and delivered by mule drawn wagons. Original organ pipes still grace the interior of the sanctuary.
1910 – January 9, 1910, President Howard Taft worshiped at St. James.
1954 – January 3, 1954, President and Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower worshiped at St. James.